Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Internships, Externships, and Observerships
Internships Heading link
Each year in January following the National Matching Service (NMS) OMFS Match, the University of Illinois Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery considers applications for a one-year internship program in OMFS, for candidates who wish to experience the full-scope of the specialty, and add to their knowledge and experience in OMFS, and potentially for application, or re-application, to postgraduate OMFS residency training programs. The interns are treated as 1st year OMFS residents, and we have had great success in having our interns Match into an OMFS residency program of their choice following the Internship year.
Applicant must have applied for postgraduate training through the PASS application service, and have completed NBDE Parts I and II, NBME CBSE, and must be a graduate of an ADA-accredited United States dental school.
- This process occurs immediately following the OMFS Dental Match in late January each year.
- Send an email to Maria Limon (email@example.com) stating your intent to perform an OMFS internship at UIC.
- Send your PASS application to Maria Limon by email as well.
- Prompt decisions regarding eligibility will be made by the OMFS faculty at the University of Illinois.
- An interview will be scheduled for one day in early-mid February, in person or via Skype, when feasible.
- Final agreements between the applicant and the program will be confirmed as soon as possible.
Externships Heading link
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program of the University of Illinois at Chicago, offers a 1-3 week externship to qualified dental students. The externship program offers the dental student considering a career in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge in the specialty of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. The extern will be expected to participate in inpatient and operating room care, and the outpatient clinical management of patients. The extern is also expected to attend all of the scheduled didactic conferences of the residency program. The extern will be involved in clinical patient care that occurs at the University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center, and the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Outpatient Clinic at the UIC College of Dentistry. On-call responsibilities are encouraged during the externship. The extern will be required to present an abstract at one of the OMS conferences during their stay in Chicago, and involvement in research is encouraged. The externship is available throughout the year, however the highest demand occurs during the summer months. Additional information about the residency program at the University of Illinois at Chicago can be obtained by contacting Maria G. Limon, Assistant to the Head.
Overview of the Externship Program (download)
Externship Application (download)
Observerships Heading link
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery offers various Observership programs.
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Observation Programs provide a meaningful and well-directed observational experience for dentists (both USA and internationally-trained) interested in observing OMFS practices and procedures within the Department of OMFS clinics and conference rooms in the College of Dentistry, and University of Illinois Medical Center operating room settings. The program provides an opportunity for the observer to:
- Observe a wide range of outpatient and inpatient OMFS procedures in the College of Dentistry and Medical Center.
- Attend all OMFS departmental and inter-departmental conferences and seminars related to OMFS services.
- Acquire fundamental knowledge and skills in the surgical sciences through the observation of laboratory and clinical procedures, as well as didactic courses identified by the Department.
- Obtain familiarity with the principles and practices of outpatient mild, moderate, and deep sedation techniques on adults and children.
- Perform basic and clinical research in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and other collaborative Departments.