You are Part of our Alumni Family Heading link
You are now part of our alumni family and among 6,000+ dental alumni. We welcome your involvement as a lifetime representative of the College of Dentistry. Remaining engaged with the College makes sure your success is achieved and celebrated beyond your dental school days. We are here to create a lifetime of engagement and connection to alumni resources, leadership, and continuing education opportunities.
The UIC Dental Alumni Board is an arm of the UIC Alumni Association and is a leadership opportunity as the College and Directors provide a voice and support policy and programming for a variety of issues that impact alumni. As a Director, you’ll have the opportunity to network, renew old acquaintances and make new ones, become a strong ambassador for the College, interact with dental students, postgraduates, and residents, and make meaningful changes at the College of Dentistry.
Your Dental Alumni Board advocates on behalf of the College and our alumni community, advises the Dean on matters central to the health of the College, presents awards to alumni and students, and sponsors student and alumni events.
For more information, call us at (312) 996-0670 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
News Corner Heading link
Alumni in the News (July 2021 – June 2022)
- Dr. Alaa Al Aswany, MS Histology ’85, received the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters at the 2022 commencement ceremony at Bard College.
- Dr. Anthony Markiewicz, ’85, was awarded the Mundelein Gold Star Award for his lifetime commitment to improving the Mundelein community both inside and outside of the dental office.
- Dr. Brian Homann, ’12, was featured in an ISDS News article for his work with RefugeeOne Dental Clinic.
- Dr. Leila Younger, ’87, was inducted to the Evergreen Park Community High School Alumni Hall of fame in April 2022
- Dr. Justin Deguzman, ’22, was featured in Disruptors Magazine article titled Top 30 Dentists to Look Out for in 2022
- Dr. Tatiana Toquica (Hoyos), ’10, was in active duty in the Air Force for six years, and is now serving in the Air Force Reserves.
- Dr. Melissa Amundson, 07, received the UIC Alumni Rising Star Leadership Award on April 7, 2022.
- Dr. Roshan Parikh, ’08, was named the first President of NYC’s emerging DSO, dntl bar.
- Dr. George Zehak, ’77, was awarded the Chicago Dental Society Foundation (CDSF) Vision Award for his efforts to mobilize dentists to provide free care to disadvantaged communities
- Drs. Maame-Ama Antwi, ’20, Chloe Andrews, ’20, Stephen Martin, ’17, and Angel Frazier, ’20, participated in a panel entitled “Life After Dental School” during Black History Month at the COD
- Dr. Hector Cabrera, ’17, opened up his own dental practice in Clermont, Florida in December 2021.
- Dr. Maggie Augustyn, ’04, has started her own column in Dentistry Today titled “Mindful Moments.” It is the very first dedicated column in the magazine.
- Dr. Thomas Schneider, ’86, Loyola Periodontics ’88, was elected as President of the Chicago Dental Society for 2022. He was interviewed by the Dental Tribune about his new role and what it means for him to be part of the CDS.
- Dr. Matthew Bernard, ’18, was featured in a Moody on the Market article for earning Board Certification by the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry. It is the highest level of certification attainable by a Pediatric Dentist.
- Dr. Mary Licking, ’77, was featured in an AAWD Chronicle Monthly article in which she reflects on and celebrates the 100 years of AAWD.
- Dr. Brittaney Hill, MS Oral Sciences ’17, was part of a health professionals panel during an Urban Health Program Open House on October 21.
- Dr. Daniel Rosales, ’17, was part of a health professionals panel during an Urban Health Program Open House on October 21.
- Dr. Roshan Parikh, ’08, was part of a live panel during the American Dental Association’s 2021 SmileCon conference in Las Vegas on October 11. He, along with other health experts, talked about how technology will continue to shape the future of dentistry.
- Dr. Juweria Amjed, ’20, participated in a webinar hosted by the Islamic Medical Association of North America titled “Why Oral Hygiene Matters?” on October 5.
- Dr. Benjamin Youel, ’13, MS Oral Sciences ’19, was awarded the “William J. Greek Memorial Leadership Award” during the ISDS Annual Session on September 10. The award is presented annually to an ISDS member who has demonstrated leadership qualities and a sincere involvement in ISDS and in dental practice for less than 10 years.
- Dr. Flavia Lamberghini, MS Oral Sciences ’06, Pediatric Dentistry ’06, received the ISDS Humanitarian Award during the ISDS Annual Session on September 10. The ISDS Humanitarian Award recognizes member dentists who have dedicated multiple levels of impact on the oral health of our communities.
- Dr. Cristian Pavel, ’14, had his Instagram account featured in the August 2021 edition of the Illinois Dental News in an article titled “Tips for Promoting Your Practice on Social Media.”
- Dr. Christian Caicedo-Moreno, ’19, had his Instagram account featured in the August 2021 edition of the Illinois Dental News in an article titled “Tips for Promoting Your Practice on Social Media.”
- Dr. Elizabeth Shapiro, ’88, was promoted to Chief of Governance and Strategy Management of the American Dental Association on August 18, 2021
- Dr. Yasir Bahrani, ’04, was promoted to rank of Captain in the US Navy on July 9, 2021.
Are you in the news? Let us know at DentNews@uic.edu.
Alumni Heading link
UIC is at the forefront of the most pressing issues affecting our city and our rapidly changing world. Our alumni, faculty and students fight disease and injustice, educate leaders, serve and care for our most vulnerable and contribute to our vibrant culture. Amazing things happen when we learn together and share ideas.
Alumni Exchange is a new virtual event series that brings news, knowledge and entertainment to help you learn, grow, explore, connect and even escape from the everyday with a community of UIC alumni and faculty. Join us online.
UICAA Virtual Alumni Book Club
UICAA Virtual Alumni Book Club aims to provide UIC alumni with enriching discussions around a variety of fiction and nonfiction genres, including career and lifelong learning resources to aid in your professional development. Hosted on the Goodreads website and app, this virtual community is open to all UIC alumni and reading enthusiasts. Join us at go.uic.edu/virtualbookclub.