Pediatric Dentistry Externships
Pediatric Dentistry Externships Heading link
The goal of the externship is to provide interested Pre-Doctoral Dental students or General Dentists the opportunity to observe Pediatric Dental residents function within the residency program. The externship is intended for individuals planning to applying for residency in the upcoming application cycle. Participants will to be able to see the day-to-day interactions of residents within a program and also evaluate their own compatibility with this specific residency program.
Program Length and Schedule
Three-day commitment (Monday-Wednesday or Wednesday-Friday). There are no externs during holidays, clinic closures, or reduced service days. The calendar of available dates can be discussed with Jean O’Finn. Up to two (2) externs can participate in a specific week.
• Observation only
• Attend classes and lectures with residents
• Attend clinic and hospital rotations
• Rotate in graduate pediatric clinic
• Attend General Anesthesia cases in the hospital (Monday or Friday)
• Externs do not participate in after-hours “on-call” duty
Applying to the Externship
Anyone interested in participating in the externship should send the following three items electronically to Jean O’Finn at email@example.com:
* A copy of your Curriculum Vitae
* A copy of your dental school transcript (can be official or unofficial)
* A letter of recommendation from a Dental School faculty or administrator
These items will be reviewed by the Program Director, and selected applicants will be invited to apply for the 3-day externship. Due to high demand, not all applicants will be selected to participate.
Upon approval of the Program Director, Jean O’Finn will contact the applicant to discuss dates and provide additional instructions for specific consent and immunization forms. This process must be completed and approved by the Office of Clinical Affairs before beginning the externship.
Jean O’Finn, Program Coordinator