Comprehensive treatment of bite problems, misaligned teeth and jaws, and jaw growth problems for children and adults.
Orthodontic treatments – such as braces and Invisalign® - help move teeth that are crooked or that do not fit together correctly. Crooked teeth can also be harder to clean, putting you at risk for cavities and gum disease. By fixing these problems, orthodontic treatment helps keep your mouth healthy as well as restoring your beautiful smile. The College of Dentistry offers the highest standards of orthodontic care in a modern, comfortable setting, using the latest technology, such as Invisalign® and SureSmile®.
Are Braces for You?
Not everyone with less than perfect teeth needs to have "braces." A reasonable estimate is that about 50% of individuals will gain enough benefit from wearing "braces" to go ahead with the time and expense of orthodontic treatment. While we treat children commonly - a child's head and mouth are still growing and teeth are easier to straighten – we specialize in adult treatment, as well. Once you’ve started your orthodontic treatment, our specialists and highly-trained staff will help you to practice good oral care to keep food and plaque from accumulating. This will prevent staining, white spots, tooth decay, and gum disease.
Certain conditions, such as many missing teeth or periodontal ("gum") disease, may make orthodontic treatment difficult or inadvisable. While orthodontic treatment can often improve the appearance and fit of the teeth, it will not make your teeth healthier or prevent tooth loss due to cavities or periodontal disease. Nor is orthodontic treatment a "cure" for jaw joint (TMJ) problems.
University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Dentistry offers a wide range of orthodontics services including comprehensive treatment of bite problems, misaligned teeth and jaws, and jaw growth problems for children and adults. We offer Invisalign® and SureSmile®.
- Regular / standard metal braces, clear braces, and self-ligating braces from a variety of established manufacturers and companies, so that each treatment is specialized and tailored to each patient
- Orthodontic treatments for children, including early treatment and growth guidance
- Orthognathic/surgical, and cleft lip and palate treatment
- Comprehensive adult, adolescent and teen orthodontic treatment
- Esthetic orthodontic treatment
- Two phase, and mixed dentition treatment
- Advanced orthodontic diagnostics including 3D CBCT imaging, 3D facial scanning, 3D treatment simulation and intraoral scanning
- Invisible orthodontics including Invisalign®
- Computer driven appliances including SureSmile® and Insignia
- Hidden (lingual) braces including 3M Incognito and Harmony (hidden, or lingual braces, are fixed on the back of teeth instead of the front)
Using the Latest Orthodontic Technology to Improve Your Smile
Orthodontics has changed considerably in the last few decades. Our orthodontists use the latest in imaging and diagnostic tools and techniques to help you decide if orthodontic treatments are right for you. Using 3D imaging technology, our specialists can detect and diagnose potential problems earlier, and then review your accurate, detailed digital scan with you so you can better understand your oral health. In addition to traditional appliances, we offer the latest in invisible and computer driven orthodontics such as Invisalign®, self-ligating brackets and SureSmile®, for more efficient treatment and optimum comfort.
Invisalign® straightens your teeth using a custom-made series of aligners created for you and only you. These aligner trays are made of smooth, comfortable and virtually invisible plastic that you wear over your teeth. They gradually and gently shift your teeth into place. There are no metal brackets to attach and no wires to tighten.
We offer SureSmile®, an advanced orthodontic treatment that uses 3D modeling of your mouth that allows our orthodontic specialists to precisely identify the desired teeth position for each patient. This provides a more precise bite adjustment, and less time in braces. Compared to traditional braces, SureSmile saves time and requires fewer visits for manual adjustments and tightening of the braces.