The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry is a worldwide leader in oral health education, clinical care and research that is patient-centered and evidence-based, with a foundation in preventive and public health sciences. We are a part of UI Health and the University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago’s largest university and is one of the nation’s top federally funded public research universities. Our strengths are founded in our college community, comprised of outstanding faculty, students and staff who share a commitment to the promise of public education, the advancement of knowledge, and the imperatives of doing good and giving back.
Our vision is to provide excellence in oral health education, research, and service, through improving the health and wellness of our communities, providing exemplary care for our patients, and advancing the knowledge to do so.
- To educate oral health professionals and scholars who excel in a complex, multicultural and technologically changing world;
- To discover and translate new knowledge at the boundaries of science, transforming oral health care practice, social systems and related technologies for the benefit of individuals, families and communities;
- To provide oral and health education & clinical services of the highest quality with an emphasis on enhancing health equity and social justice for individuals and communities;
- To prepare health professionals in addressing the challenges of access to care affecting underserved populations;
- To collaborate with our urban and rural community partners in mutually beneficial ways; and
- To advocate for public policies, perceptions, and practices that lead to inclusion of oral health as an integral part of the interprofessional emphasis on the health of the communities we serve.
OUR CORE VALUES
In addition to University’s core values of knowledge, openness, access, excellence, collaboration and caring, The College of Dentistry has unique core values that include: professionalism, respect, transparency, responsibility, curiosity, flexibility, commitment and inclusion.
- Professionalism regarding the highest ethical principles in our research, teaching and helping those we serve.
- Respect regarding the highest level of mutual respect of the person between all members of our communities,
- Beneficence regarding the obligation for all college members to strive to do no harm, maximize benefit; minimize harm in a global, multicultural environment,
- Transparency regarding all aspects of how the College addresses the vision and missions,
- Responsibility regarding the most efficient and effective use of all human and related resources to fulfill our missions,
- Curiosity regarding novel educational, research, service ideas leading to new discoveries,
- Flexibility regarding how we achieve our aspirations through accountability of outcomes,
- Commitment regarding the highest ethical values in serving our students and communities,
- Inclusion regarding the role of diversity in engaging students, faculty and staff.
We are the largest oral health college and patient care provider in the State of Illinois offering outstanding education, research, and patient care. We continually invest in our clinical, research and learning facilities to improve student and patient experiences. We have an innovative, nationally recognized Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) program led by world-class faculty and students who have achieved a 100% pass rate on the Part 1 and 2 ADA board exams. Our innovative curriculum integrates foundational and clinical learning through early access to patient care. Our state-of-the-art learning labs and patient care clinics offer a complete digital workflow, advanced imaging and digital diagnostic and care planning. Students gain valuable training experience while sharing in our commitment to public health and community engagement through extramural rotations in carefully selected community-based clinics throughout Chicago and northern Illinois. Students have the opportunity to learn and engage in general comprehensive training as well as advanced specialized training programs including Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics and Prosthodontics, with multidisciplinary oral science research foundations.
Our innovative and comprehensive academic programs, excellent students and faculty, strong research and community health focus, commitment to diversity, dedicated alumni & friends and location in a world-class city set us apart from other oral health colleges.
Video: Changing the Future of Oral Health
The College of Dentistry provides thoughtful educational programs for students and professionals in a respectful environment that celebrates life-long learning. The College offers an innovative pre-doctoral Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) program, and the Doctor of Dental Medicine Advanced Standing (DMD-AS) program. The DMD curriculum offers foundational coursework in the biomedical and clinical sciences, comprehensive care courses that integrate foundational learning, small group learning settings, and clinical learning throughout the four-year program. In addition to the DMD program, the College of Dentistry offers a comprehensive array of educational programs including postgraduate advanced training, graduate and joint degrees, externships, international observations, volunteer opportunities and community based service-learning extramural rotations.
- Postgraduate Specialty Training Programs in Endodontics, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics and Prosthodontics
- PhD/DMD and PhD in Oral Sciences
- MS in Oral Sciences
- Multidisciplinary Oral Science Training (MOST)
A problem-based model guides our DMD curriculum, allowing students to experience a diagnostic process very early in their education. Our innovative case-based curriculum, called Small Group Learning (SGL) integrates foundational learning and clinical learning throughout the four-year program. The interdisciplinary case scenarios place learning in the context of a real-world patient problem/concern and emphasize the relationship between systemic and oral diseases, health and prevention, family and community context, disease diagnosis and evidence based practice. The SGL curriculum structure offers students several benefits:
- Increased capacity to find and apply information relevant to clinical cases
- Improved higher-order reasoning
- Enhanced communication and collaboration
Our clinical facilities, learning and research labs are newly renovated and incorporate the latest in health technology. Students have access to the latest in digital dentistry technology to enhance learning and apply best practices.
- Instructional Technology tools: AxiUm Ed, Blackboard Learning Management System
- Digital imaging: CEREC 3D system (CAD/CAM), 3D image analysis, Computed tomography (CT), Orthocad 3D modeling, craniofacial anomaly imaging
The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry is Illinois’ largest dental school and dental care provider, serving 20+ thousand patient visits each year. We offer comprehensive, personalized treatment - with the choice of care provided by students, residents or faculty who are experts in their field – to match every care need, even the most challenging. Located in the heart of the Illinois Medical District UIC Campus, we serve Chicago and beyond with world-class dental care at a great value. And, yes – we accept UIC’s employee insurance.
The College of Dentistry has transformed the way we perform many dental treatments through advanced digital technologies and methods. Through the use of digital tools and workflows we offer patients the highest levels of precision and accuracy, and minimally invasive methods - which translates to much less time spent at the dentist, and more comfort. For instance, we can reduce the time spent to receive a new crown from several days – to a matter of hours. For more complex restorations and surgeries, we can pre-plan and coordinate the entire treatment virtually across multiple specialties, and even provide restorative and surgical services in the same appointment – so patients get the advantage of expert consultation and care, quickly and easily.
Why Patients Choose UIC
Choice of Personalized Oral Care for All Needs, All in One Place. All College of Dentistry patients have the advantage of highly personalized treatment and the choice of getting their care from a student dentist, a resident specialist, or faculty specialist. Either way, we offer patients one-on-one attention, and the best treatment plan to match your needs, and your schedule – for the best overall value.
Advanced Specialties for All Needs in One Place. The College of Dentistry offers all dental specialty care practices – all in one place. Faculty and residents collaborate across six advanced specialty clinics including Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics and Prosthodontics. Many of our faculty also provide care through a Faculty Practice, as well as teach in the college. Also, many of our faculty serve as researchers who lead scientific investigations that advance the methods used in our clinics.
Advanced Imaging and Diagnostics. The College of Dentistry uses imaging and diagnostics at the leading edge of patient care. Coupled with sophisticated 3D imaging software, CBCT allows dentists to visualize the inside of teeth, beneath the gums, and other areas of the mouth in a three-dimensional fashion. Using the latest imaging technology offer patients the benefits of less radiation exposure, and the advantage of coordinated diagnosis and treatment planning. The College of Dentistry also uses integrated digital workflows for streamlined care planning, not only between the College of Dentistry specialty clinics, but also with other healthcare providers. This means less time spent getting x-rays from specialists in multiple locations.
Computer-Aided Design/Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAD/CAM). Through the use of CAD/CAM technology, our dentists can plan and fabricate implants, crowns and other restorative treatments through digital modeling. For patients this means a more comfortable and time-saving dental experience. Procedures that used to require weeks and an outside dental laboratory are now possible in just a few days, or even on the same day. With the addition of digital impression systems, no longer do patients have to experience the mouth full of impression material formerly required for procedures such as crowns, bridges or dental implants.
Electronic Health Records. UIC dental clinics use a secure, integrated electronic health record (EHR) system to enhance diagnosis, prevention, treatment and patient education. Whether visiting for a routine check-up, or comprehensive treatments, patients benefit from secure transfer of records between our general and specialty clinics, and referring doctors.
Patinet Care Centers of Excellence. Our patient care facilities house several specialized centers that provide world-class care using state-of-the-art methods and technology.
- Implant and Innovations Center addressing the significant oral health issues related to missing teeth.
- Pediatric Dentistry Graduate Clinic providing the latest in pediatric dental care for children.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery proving comprehensive scope of services features a wide variety of surgical procedures, each providing exceptional care.
The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry is an internationally recognized leader in oral health research. We are the only research-oriented dental school in Illinois, and we're anchored within a level-1 biomedical and research university.. The College of Dentistry has a proud decades long history of important breakthroughs in biological and biomaterials sciences. Our faculty engage in the latest research in many cutting edge disciplines that make significant contributions to scientific knowledge and improve the health of our patients. We have 40+ researchers leading and collaborating in basic scientific investigations and translational studies that are changing the future of dentistry. These disciplines include anthropology, bioinformatics, biomaterials, biomechanics, cancer, developmental biology, diabetes, epigenetics, immunology, microbiology, natural products, stem cells, and wound healing. We also host several research centers and laboratories leading the way in their respective fields. These include;
- Center for Wound Healing and Tissue Regeneration (CWHTR), a unique community of scientists and clinicians devoted to the study of injury, wound healing, and regeneration.
- Laboratory of Applied Dental Biomaterials and Interfaces is engaged in broad range of classic laboratory based biomaterials and prosthodontic sciences, as well as caries research to improve dental therapy outcomes and the quality of life.
- Clinical Research Center, a state-of-the-art clinical laboratory for hosting translational research studies and trials.
- Brodie Laboratory for Craniofacial Genetics, with the goal of furthering the science, teaching, and clinical application of the biology of the craniofacial region and the teeth.
- Oral Medicine & Pharmacognosy Research (OMPR) Laboratory, conducting medical anthropology and ethnopharmacology research associated with plants and other natural products used for oral medicine conditions, pains and pathologies.
- Dental Medicine Responder Training (DMRT), leading theory and policy research supporting dental professionals for emergency preparedness.
The College of Dentistry also provides students and faculty several ways to celebrate our research, gain CE credit and learn from one another. Our annual Clinic and Research Day celebrates the outstanding research achievements of our faculty and students in the College of Dentistry. Our Research Journal Club presents lunch & learn sessions featuring guest speakers from across campus and industry.