- Veerasathpurush (Sath)
- BDS, MBA, MHA, PhD, MMSc
- Department Head of Orthodontics
- Brodie Craniofacial Endowed Chair
Dr. Veerasathpurush (Sath) Allareddy serves as the Department Head of Orthodontics and Brodie Craniofacial Endowed Chair. He is a tenured Professor in the Department of Orthodontics. Prior to joining UIC, he served as Professor of Orthodontics and Director of Clinical Research at the College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics - The University of Iowa and was the Director of Pre-doctoral Orthodontics at Harvard School of Dental Medicine. His area of research excellence is Health Process and Clinical Outcomes Evaluation. He has conducted research to examine and identify risk factors and effects of preventable adverse events, medical errors, and major peri-operative complications in patients undergoing complex surgical procedures such as craniosynostosis repairs, orthognathic surgeries, stem cell transplantations, facial reconstructions, etc. His research represents evaluations of healthcare delivery processes, access to care, and clinical outcomes. His research has examined oral and systemic health linkages and identified potential pathways to improve care in patients undergoing complex surgical procedures. He is the principal investigator on the Class II – Practice Based Research Network (PBRN) study funded by the American Association of Orthodontists Foundation. He has been successful in fostering research collaborations between multiple Universities. He has been the team leader/principal investigator on multiple projects that brought together world renowned experts. He has published over 170 research articles in peer reviewed journals, presented over 250 posters at regional/national/international scientific meetings, and collaborated with close to 250 researchers affiliated to more than 25 different Universities. He serves as Chair of the American Association of Orthodontists Practice Based Research Network Committee, is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists Foundation Rapid Assessment of Evidence Committee, and is a peer reviewer of over 30 international scientific journals. His clinical expertise is Craniofacial and Cleft Lip/Palate Orthodontics and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. He is the recipient of multiple research awards (years 2014, 2016, and 2018) from Society of Critical Care Medicine, Peer Reviewer of the Year 2016 Award from Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Journal, Eleanor and Miles Shore 50th Anniversary Fellowship for Scholars in Medicine – Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine scholarship, and was the recipient of the prestigious Harvard School of Dental Medicine Presidential Scholarship (years 2008 to 2010).
Education & Career
- BDS, Ragas Dental College and Hospital, 2000
- MBA The University of Iowa, 2002
- MHA, The University of Iowa, 2006
- PhD (Health Services Research and Policy), The University of Iowa, 2007
- MMSc (Oral Biology), Harvard University, 2010
- Orthodontics Residency - CAGE, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 2010
- Craniofacial and Cleft Lip/Palate Orthodontics Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 2013
- Practice Based Research Network
- Big data analytics, bioinformatics, and machine learning
- Cleft and craniofacial outcomes research
- Health policy and access to care evaluations
- Oral and systemic health linkages
- Choi KW, Ko HC, Todoki LS, Finkleman SA, Khosravi R, Wang HF, Funkhouser E, Baltuck C, Raj V, Allareddy V, Matunas JC, Vermette ME, Harrell WE Jr, Coro JC, Greenlee GM, Huang GJ, Group NDPC. The National Dental Practice-Based Research Network adult anterior open bite study: A description of the practitioners and patients. Angle Orthod. 2018 Sep 12. doi: 10.2319/070118-491.1
- Ukwuoma O, Allareddy V, Allareddy V, Rampa S, Rose JA, Shein SL, Rotta AT. Trends in Head Computed Tomography Utilization in Children Presenting to Emergency Departments After Traumatic Head Injury. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2018 Sep 25. doi: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000001618.
- Want T, Rampa S, Allareddy V, Allareddy V. Interpretable Patient Mortality Prediction with Multi-value Rule Sets. In Proceedings of SIGKDD’18, London, United Kingdom, Aug 2018. DOI: 10.475/1234.
- Pietrzak B, Ward A, Cheung MK, Schwendimann BA, Mollaoglu G, Duong MT, Ulltveit-Moe N, Allareddy V, Dutton-Regester K, Zhang J, Scult MA, Naz S, Singh PC, Yan HY, Isaacson K, Dennis AF, Al-Humaidan EI, Beardsley FR, Lo C, Sood P, Jones T, Nieuwenhuis R, Ali BA, Yu KH, Arthur PK, Kumar B, Chen A, Buschke F, Cingl L, Zaidi SS, O'Mullane AP, Coetzee V, Konstantinides N. Education for the future. Science. 2018 Jun 29;360(6396):1409-1412. doi: 10.1126/science.aau3877.
- Bilbo EE, Marshall SD, Southard KA, Allareddy V, Holton N, Thames AM, Otsby MS, Southard TE. Long-term skeletal effects of high-pull headgear followed by fixed appliances for the treatment of Class II malocclusions. Angle Orthod. 2018 Sep;88(5):530-537. doi: 10.2319/091517-620.1.
- Rampa S, Wilson FA, Wang H, Wehbi NK, Smith L, Allareddy V. Hospital-Based Emergency Department Visits With Dental Conditions: Impact of the Medicaid Reimbursement Fee for Dental Services in New York State, 2009-2013. The journal of evidence-based dental practice. 2018; 18(2):119-129.
- Lee MK, Yen SL, Allareddy V. Hospitalization Outcomes of Cleft Lip Repair in Neonates Across the United States. The Cleft palate-craniofacial journal : official publication of the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association. 2018; 55(4):528-535.
- Metalwala Z, Okunseri C, Fletcher S, Allareddy V. Orthognathic Surgical Outcomes in Patients With and Without Craniofacial Anomalies. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery. 2018; 76(2):436.e1-436.e8.
- Daniels S, Brady P, Daniels A, Howes S, Shin K, Elangovan S, Allareddy V. Comparison of surgical and non-surgical orthodontic treatment approaches on occlusal and cephalometric outcomes in patients with Class II Division I malocclusions. Progress in orthodontics. 2017; 18(1):16.
- Uribe F, Davoody L, Mehr R, Jayaratne YSN, Almas K, Sobue T, Allareddy V, Nanda R. Efficiency of piezotome-corticision assisted orthodontics in alleviating mandibular anterior crowding-a randomized clinical trial. European journal of orthodontics. 2017; 39(6):595-600.
- Allareddy V, Nalliah R, Lee MK, Rampa S, Allareddy V. Adverse clinical events reported during Invisalign treatment: Analysis of the MAUDE database. American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics. 2017; 152(5):706-710.
- Manosudprasit A, Haghi A, Allareddy V, Masoud MI. Diagnosis and treatment planning of orthodontic patients with 3-dimensional dentofacial records. American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics. 2017; 151(6):1083-1091.
- Skotko BG, Macklin EA, Muselli M, Voelz L, McDonough ME, Davidson E, Allareddy V, Jayaratne YS, Bruun R, Ching N, Weintraub G, Gozal D, Rosen D. A predictive model for obstructive sleep apnea and Down syndrome. American journal of medical genetics. Part A. 2017; 173(4):889-896.
- Allareddy V, Prakasam S, Rampa S, Stein K, Nalliah RP, Allareddy V, Rengasamy Venugopalan S. Impact of Periapical Abscess on Infectious Complications in Patients Undergoing Extracorporeal Circulation Auxiliary to Open-Heart Surgical Procedures. The journal of evidence-based dental practice. 2017; 17(1):13-22.
- Lin J, Allareddy V, Ross E, Shusterman S. A Comparison of Mixed Dentition Dental Development in Cleft Patients Treated With and Without the Latham-type Appliance. Pediatric dentistry. 2017; 39(1):53-58.
Complete list of publications available at