- DDS, MMSc
- Professor and Head, Department of Restorative Dentistry
- Director - Implant and Innovations Center
- Director - Center for Digital Excellence
Education & Career
- Medical College of Virginia, DDS
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Advanced Program in Prosthodontics
- Harvard University in conjunction with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Master of Medical Science Degree with a biomaterials focus
- Diplomate of the American Board of Prosthodontics
Professional Affiliations & Certifications
- Past-President of the American College of Prosthodontists (ACP)
- Past-President American Board of Prosthodontics
- Past-President American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics
- Past-President Academy of Prosthodontics
- Past-President Greater New York Academy of Prosthodontics
- Past-Chair of the ACP Education Foundation
- Past-President International Association of Dental Research Prosthodontics Section
- 2007 George H. Moulton Award, American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics
- 2009 Educator of the Year Award, American College of Prosthodontist
- 2010 Dan Gordon Award, American College of Prosthodontists
- 2011 ADEA/Zimmer Dental Implant Education Teaching Award
- 2015 Presidential Citation, American College of Prosthodontists
Clinical Activities and Specialties
Dr. Campbell has extensive clinical experience, having spent most of his time providing patient care. He has been active in dental research throughout his career, having been the principal investigator for several NIH grants dealing with ceramics.
Campbell, S.D. and Pelletier, L.P.: Thermal cycling distortion of metal ceramics. Part I: Metal collar width. J Prosthet Dent. 67:603-608, 1992.
Knoernschild, K., Campbell, S.D.: Periodontal tissue responses after insertion of artificial crowns and fixed partial dentures. J Prosthet Dent 84:492-8, 2000.
Christopher T. Chan; Cortino Sukotjo; Kenneth W. Gehrke; Judy Chia-Chun Yuan; Stephen D. Campbell; David M. Clark; Farhad Fayz. Laboratory Quality Assurance in the Department of Restorative Dentistry at the University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Dentistry. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2013;22(1):85-91.
Pamela A. Barias; Damian J. Lee; Judy Chia-Chun Yuan; Cortino Sukotjo; Stephen D. Campbell; Kent L. Knoernschild. Retrospective Analysis of Dental Implants Placed and Restored by Advanced Prosthodontic Residents. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2013;22(2):157-163.
Damian J Lee; Rand E Harlow; Judy Chia-Chun Yuan; Cortino Sukotjo; Kent L Knoernschild; Stephen D Campbell. Three-year clinical outcomes of implant treatments provided at a predoctoral implant program. The International Journal of Prosthodontics. 2011;24(1):71-76.
Judy Chia-Chun Yuan; Linda M. Kaste; Damian J. Lee; Rand F. Harlow; Kent L. Knoernschild; Stephen D. Campbell; Cortino Sukotjo. Dental student perceptions of predoctoral implant education and plans for providing implant treatment. Journal of Dental Education. 2011;75(6):750-760.
Kim A, Knoernschild K, Campbell S: Abutment Material Effect On Peri-implant Soft Tissue Color And Perceived Esthetics. JOP Submission 5-2015 – Sharry Award Winner. J Prosthodont. 2015 Sep 23. doi: 10.1111/jopr.12360.