Toni M. Roucka, RN, DDS, MA
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Associate Professor
Building & Room:
UIC College of Dentistry 801 S. Paulina St, IL 60612
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, International College of Dentists 2016
- Student Advocate Award, American Student Dental Association, Marquette University School of Dentistry 2013
- Fellow, American College of Dentists 2012
- American Dental Association Volunteer Service in a Foreign Country Award for Wisconsin 2009 - 2010
- Marquette University International Research Award 2009
- Induction into Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) 2007
- Milwaukee Health Champion Award for Tobacco Cessation Program 2005
Centers for Tobacco Research and Intervention Website: “Treating Tobacco Use Series: For Dental Professionals”. Co-contributor to site information, 2005.
Roucka, T. “Oral Manifistations of HIV Disease” Interventions Newsletter, March 1994
Roucka, T., “Dental Ethics and the Digital Age”, Western Schools, Online and Booklet Form CE Course, 3 CEUs, published February, 2016, www.westernschools.com. Roucka, T., Zarkowski, P., “A Case of Cyberbullying”, General Dentistry, August / September 2015; 63:4, 13-15
Roucka, T. “Case #11: Dear John”, General Dentistry, March / April 2015; 62:8, 14-15.
Roucka, T., “Gifts from Patients”, General Dentistry, November /December 2014; 62:6, 24-25.
Roucka, T., “Well-intentioned or misguided?” General Dentistry, May / June 2014; 62:3, 18-20.
Roucka, T., “A Look at International, Short-Term Service Trips; Challenges from an Ethical Perspective,” Journal of the American College of Dentists, spring 2014; 81:1, 21-27
Donate- Bartfield, E., Lobb, W., Roucka, T., “Teaching Culturally Sensitive Care: A Multidisciplinary Focus”, Journal of Dental Education, March, 2014, 78:3, 454-464. *Voted in top 10 of JDE Articles of 2014 by American Dental Educator’s Assoc.
Roucka, T, Zarkowski, P., Donate-Bartfield, E “In Social Media age, watch what you say.” General Dentistry, January / February 2014; 62:1, 19-21.
Roucka, T, Zarkowski, P., Donate-Bartfield, E., Patthoff, D.E., “Ethical Obligations and the Dental Office Team”, Journal of the American College of Dentists, 80:4, Winter, 2013, 49-58
Roucka, T., “I’ll trade you one.” General Dentistry, November / December 2013; 61:5, 16-17.
Roucka, T., “What’s wrong with this picture?” General Dentistry, August 2013; 61:3, 18-21.
Roucka, T., “A case of Justifiable Criticism or not?” General Dentistry, May/June 2013; 61:2, 22-25.
Roucka, T., Gonzalez C., “Call of Duty”, General Dentistry, January/February 2013; 61:1, 20-22.
Roucka T., “Assistant or patient? Can she be both?” General Dentistry, November/ December 2012; 60:6, 461-463.
Roucka T., “Best Dental”, General Dentistry, August / September 2012; 60: 4, 265-268.
Roucka, T., “To treat or not to treat…that is the question”, General Dentistry, March / April 2012; 60:2,100-103.
Schwartz, B., Jenson, L., Roucka, T., Patthoff, D. “Writing off the Copayment” Ethical Case Commentary. Journal of the American College of Dentists, Summer 2011;78, 2: 26-33.
Roucka, T., “Access to Dental Care in Two Long-Term Refugee Camps in Western Tanzania; Program Development and Assessment”. International Dental Journal, 2011; 61: 109-115, doi: 10.1111/j.1875-595X.2011.00023.x
- M.A. Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, Bioethics, 2007
- D.D.S. University of Illinois College of Dentistry, Chicago, Illinois, 1990
- A.A.S, R.N. College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, 1982
- Dental Officer, United States Navy 1990 -1993
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Associate Professor with Tenure, Department of Restorative Dentistry, Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine 2013 – 2016
- Marquette University School of Dentistry, Assistant Professor, Program Director for General Dentistry Department of General Dental Sciences and various other roles 2001 - 2013
- Dentist, Kenosha Community Health Center, Kenosha Wisconsin 2001 – 2009
- Dentist / Owner, Salem Dental S.C., General Dental Practice, Salem, Wisconsin 1995 -2003
- Dentist, National Health Service Corp., Spang Center for Oral Health, Chicago, Illinois 1993 - 1996
- Registered Nurse, University of Illinois Hospital, Chicago, Illinois. Staff nurse in Neonatal Intensive Care 1983 - 1989
- Registered Nurse, Loyola University Hospital, Maywood, Illinois. Staff nurse in Neonatal Intensive Care 1982 – 1983
Licensures and Certifications
- Licensed to practice Dentistry in Wisconsin
- Licensed to Practice Dentistry in Illinois
- Registered Nurse in Illinois
- American Society for Dental Ethics (ASDE), Immediate Past President
- American College of Dentists (ACD), Vice Chair Illinois Section
- American Dental Educators Association (ADEA)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- Illinois State Dental Society (ISDS)
- Editorial Board, Journal of the American College of Dentists, Issues in Dental Ethics
- Invited Judge, ASDE Ozar - Hasegawa Annual Ethics Award Competition
Research Currently in Progress
Dr. Roucka is known nationally for her work in bioethics. She has published widely in this area and speaks regularly at the national level. She has received research and program funding from the numerous sources including Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).