Marcio da Fonseca, DDS, MS
Chicago Dental Society Professor, Department Head, Director of Oral Health for Special Needs Children
College of Dentistry 801 S. Paulina, IL 60612
Education & Career
- Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, Juiz de Fora, Brazil
- University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Advanced Program in Pediatric Dentistry and Master of Science degree
- Denver Children’s Hospital, Pediatric Dentistry Fellow
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Oral Medicine Fellow
- Editor, Journal of Dentistry for Children, American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
Clinical activities & specialties
Dr. da Fonseca has extensive clinical experience in dental care for medically compromised children and adolescents. His research interests include oral - systemic health connections, dental education and poverty. He has spent most of his career in academic pediatric dentistry. He has published several articles and book chapters and co-edited a pediatric dentistry book.
- Chi DL, da Fonseca MA, Dinh M, Scott J. An exploratory cross-sectional analysis of socioeconomic status, food insecurity, and fast food consumption: implications for dietary research to reduce children’s oral health disparities. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 115:1599-1604, 2015.
- Patrick J, da Fonseca MA, Kaste L, Fadavi S, Shah N, Sroussi H. Oral Health-related Quality of Life in Pediatric Patients with Cystic Fibrosis. Special Care Dentistry 36:187-193; 2016.
- da Fonseca MA. Malnutrition and Oral Health in Children. Curr Oral Health Reports. DOI 10.1007/s40496-017-0130-6. Epubl April 18 2017.
- Mitchual S, da Fonseca MA, Raja S, Weatherspoon DJ, Koerber A. Association Between Childhood Traumatic Stress and Behavior in the Pediatric Dental Clinic. Pediatric Dentistry 39:203-208, 2017.
- Nelson T, da Fonseca MA, Scott J, Hannanvash N, Weinstein P. Patient care agreements to improve pediatric dental compliance and self-efficacy. Pediatric Dentistry 39:299-303, 2017.
- da Fonseca MA, Strumpf M. Dental local anesthesia for patients with pseudocholinesterase deficiency. Special Care Dentistry 2018 Jan 18. doi: 10.1111/scd.12270. [Epub ahead of print] (editorial)
- McCloe D, Marion I, da Fonseca MA, Colvard M, AlQahtani S. Age Estimation of Hispanic Children Using the London Atlas. Forensic Science International 288:332.e1-332.e6, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2018.04.013
- Pham C-L, Kratunova E, Marion I, da Fonseca M, Alapati S. Effect of overlying material on final setting of Biodentine setting reaction in primary molar pulpotomy. Pediatr Dent 2019; 41(2): 140-5.
- da Fonseca MA, Townsend J, Rodriguez T, LeHew C. Characteristics and Professional Development Needs of Pediatric Dentistry Chairs in the United States and Canada. Pediatr Dent 2019; 41(4):293-8.
- Raja S, da Fonseca MA, Rabinowitz EP. Patient Preferences on Sharing Private Information in Dental Settings. JADA 151(1):33-42, 2020.
Moursi AM, da Fonseca MA, Truesdale A, Eds. Clinical Cases in Pediatric Dentistry. West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- da Fonseca MA, Nelson TM. General Anesthesia in Pediatric Dentistry. In: Behavior Management in Dentistry for Children. GZ Wright, A Kupietzky, Eds. 2nd ed. Ames, Iowa: Wiley Blackwell, 2014, pp. 185-195.
- da Fonseca MA, Avenetti D. Social Determinants of Pediatric Oral Health. Dental Clinics of North America 61(3):519-532, 2017. (Issue: Evidence-Based Pediatric Dentistry. DL Chi, editor)
- da Fonseca MA. Childhood Cancer. In: The Handbook of Pediatric Dentistry. PS Casamassimo, AJ Nowak, Eds. 5th ed. Chicago: American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, 2018.
- da Fonseca MA. Nephrology. In: The Handbook of Pediatric Dentistry. AJ Nowak, PS Casamassimo, Eds. 5th ed. Chicago: American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, 2018.
- da Fonseca MA. Oral and Dental Care of Local and Systemic Diseases. In: Pediatric Dentistry – Infancy through Adolescence. PS Casamassimo, DJ McTigue, HW Fields, AJ Nowak, Eds. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders Co., 2018.
- Kratunova E, da Fonseca MA. Common Oral Conditions in Children with Special Health Needs. In: Nelson TM, Webb JR, Eds. Dental Care for Children with Special Needs: A Clinical Guide. Cham, Switzerland: Springer, 2019, pp. 167-93.
- da Fonseca MA, Kratunova E. Medically Compromised Children. In: Cameron AC, Widmer RP, Eds. Handbook of Pediatric Dentistry. 5th Ed. Sydney: Mosby-Elsevier, 2020. (In Press)
- da Fonseca MA, Nelson TM. General Anesthesia in Pediatric Dentistry. In: Behavior Management in Dentistry for Children. GZ Wright, A Kupietzky, Eds. 3rd ed. 2020. (In Press)