- University of Illinois, BS, 1965
- University of Illinois, DDS (with honors), 1967
- University of Illinois, MS (Anatomy), 1969
- Ontogeny of the oral apparatus in mammals:
- Development of jaw muscles (in hamsters and mice) - correlation of muscle histogenesis during fetal and postnatal growth periods with behavioral changes during the suckling-chewing transition
- Development of jaws (hamsters, mice, dogs) - formation and growth of the jaw joint-ossicular region
- Tissue interrelations in development (with TEM):
- Myocyte-fibroblast associations during muscle histogenesis and myotendon junction formation; development of the myocyte basal lamina in relation to cytoskeletal components
- Neuromuscular spindle development and spindle organization in jaw muscles
John W. Polley; Kai-Fong Hung; Alvaro Figueroa; Tom Lakars; Heather Heiberger. Alternative techniques in rigid fixation of the craniomaxillofacial skeleton. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 1998;9(3):249-253.
J.W. Polley; A. Figueroa; K.-F. Hung; M. Cohen; T. Lakars. Effect of rigid microfixation on the craniomaxillofacial skeleton. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 1995;6(2):132-138.
T.C. Lakars; Susan W. Herring. Polymorphous geniohyoid muscles of mice, rats and hamsters. Archives of Oral Biology. 1987;32(6):421-427.