Clark Stanford, DDS, PhD, Cert. Prosthodontics
Dean, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Dentistry, UIC Distinguished Professor, Department of Restorative Dentistry, Professor, Department of Bioengineering, UIC College of Engineering
801 S. Paulina St., IL 60612
Dr. Clark Stanford is Dean of the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry, and UIC Distinguished Professor. The 17th Dean in the UIC College of Dentistry’s history, Dr. Stanford assumed his duties Oct. 1, 2014. He is the 44th person in the history of UIC to receive the Distinguished Professor designation. Previously, he had been Associate Dean for Research and Professor of Prosthodontics at the University of Iowa College of Dentistry.
While Dr. Stanford had been at Iowa for 35 years, he is a native of the Chicagoland area, having grown up in Northbrook, IL. Dr. Stanford arrived at the Iowa City campus as an undergraduate in 1979. There, he received his BS in 1984, his DDS in 1987, and a Certificate in Prosthodontics and PhD in cell biology in 1992. He joined Iowa’s faculty that same year.
Dr. Stanford currently serves on several national and international committees, including the International Association for Dental Research, the National Institutes of Health, the Academy of Prosthodontics, and the Academy of Osseointegration (AO). For the AO, he is on the Executive Board and is Treasurer. He was a member of the board of the American College of Prosthodontists, and is currently chairman of the Scientific Advisory Council of the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasias. Dr. Stanford is a member of the American and International Associations for Dental Research, the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, the American Dental Association, the American Society for Cell Biology, and the Orthopaedic Research Society. He is a fellow of the Academy of Prosthodontics, the International Team for Oral Implantology, and the Institute of Medicine of Chicago.
He is the recipient of 15 academic awards including the 2007 State of Iowa Regents Award for Faculty Excellence and the International Association for Dental Research Distinguished Scientist Award (2007).
Clinical activities & specialties
Dr. Stanford treats patients for complex rehabilitation, with an emphasis in craniofacial anomalies, at the UIC College of Dentistry. Dr. Stanford led a task force of 120 global clinicians and scientists in the establishment of the first set of evidence-based Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) for the dental community on how to manage patients with no teeth in the upper jaw. The guidelines were published in 2016. Dr. Stanford has won 15 teaching awards.
Dr. Stanford is the author of 20 book chapters, 117 published papers, and more than 140 published research abstracts.
- University of Iowa, BS (Zoology), 1984
- University of Iowa, DDS, 1987
- University of Iowa, Certificate, Prosthodontics, 1992
- University of Iowa, Cell Biology, 1992
- University of Iowa, College of Dentistry, Associate Dean for Research, 2008-2014; Director of Clinical Research, 1999-2014; College of Dentistry Dows Institute for Dental Research and Department of Prosthodontics, Assistant Professor, 1992-1996; Associate Professor, 1996-2001; Centennial Fund Professor of Clinical and Translational Research, 2001-2014; College of Engineering, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Professor, 2007-2014; Roy J. and Lucille Carver College of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Assistant Professor, 1995-1996; Associate Professor, 1996-2001; Professor, 2001-2014; Department of Biology, Postdoctoral Associate, 1987-1992
- International Standards Organization and American National Standards Institute for TC 106 Working Group on Dental Implants, Delegate, 1987-present
- American Dental Association, Council on Scientific Affairs, Consultant, 1991-present
- American Association for Dental Research, Iowa Section, President, 1998-2000
- Institute for Clinical and Translational Science Novel Translational Technologies (Nanoscience), Key Function Director, 2007-2014
- American College of Prosthodontists, board member
- Scientific Advisory Council of the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasias, Chairman
Research Currently in Progress
Dr. Stanford's research is focused on osteoblastic gene expression and signaling pathways. He has received research funding from the National Institutes of Health, foundations, and from industry. He currently serves on multiple national and international committees.