This summer, the UIC College of Dentistry chapters from the American Dental Education Association(ADEA), American Student Dental Association(ASDA), and American Association for Women Dentists(AAWD) are coordinating a trip to volunteer at the 2018 IL Mission of Mercy(MOM) on Saturday July 21st. If you are interested in joining us to volunteer for the event, please read the detailed information below. Regardless of whether or not you choose to volunteer as a part of ADEA, ASDA, & AAWD,
We strongly encourage everyone to volunteer when they are able or donate to the event!
About Mission of Mercy
The ISDS Foundation Mission of Mercy is a charitable dental clinic open to patients on a first-come, first-served basis. More than 1,000 volunteer dentist, hygienist, assistants, dental students and others come together to provide free dental care to patients who have limited financial resources or are otherwise unable to visit a dental office. Volunteers are prepared to see 1,000 patients per day, but hope to accommodate more. Dental volunteers will use 100 portable dental units to provide free basic dental care and oral surgery to patients who would not otherwise have access to necessary dental treatment. MOM is hosted by the Illinois State Dental Society biannually in Springfield, IL. This year, 2018 MOM will be held on Friday, July 20th & Saturday, July 21st.
How to Volunteer
There are a variety of positions you can sign up for at this event. Please remember a few IMPORTANT things when signing up for a position.
1)You may NOT volunteer for any position which requires you to carry an IL license that you do not possess. As a student, you will NOT be able to function as a dentist at this event.
2) While many of you probably have a strong desire to volunteer as assistants, please remember that it takes all positions to make an event like this work. If assistant positions are filled by the time you register, there are many other positions you can volunteer for.
3) There are a limited number of volunteers needed for each type of volunteer position. The earlier you register, the more likely you are to get the volunteer position you want.
There are 4 sessions you can sign up for on Saturday, July 21st.
Our organizations will be coordinating carpools to arrive at the following times:
1. Early carpool: leaves at approximately 2am to arrive in time for the 5:30am session
2. Late carpool: leaves at approximately 7:30am to arrive in time for the 11:30am session
Our organizations will be coordinating rides home after the PM session ends that day at 6pm.
Currently, we are not coordinating rides home after the AM session ends at 12p or after the clinic break down session.
We recommend those of you traveling with our organizations sign up for one of the following times:
1) AM session & PM session (AM: 5:30a-12p, & PM: 11:30a-6p)
2) Just the PM Session (PM: 11:30a-6pm)
Breakfast and Lunch are provided at the event. Remember to sign up for them in your registration as appropriate. Depending on how many people are going, we may try to coordinate a food stop together on the way home.
Once you have Registered:
If you are volunteering as part of one of these organizations and wish to receive further information about carpooling closer to July 21st, please send a screenshot or PDF of the confirmation of your registration to email@example.com.