The College of Dentistry joins with the University in delivering real solutions to community disparities by expanding the power and reach of oral healthcare delivery and education. We will continue to expand our services and gain partners in the communities where we can have the greatest impact. We also will recruit and retain prominent faculty who have a stake in the future of our communities and a passion to serve humanity. Our goal is to prepare an oral health care workforce that is competent and committed to addressing the oral health needs of vulnerable and underserved populations.
Learn more about Community Health Service-Learning programs at UIC College of Dentistry
Students Lead Dental Clinic at Goldies Place Serving the Homeless
Service Learning is integrated throughout all years of the DMD and DMD/AS curriculum, In their D-4 year, DMD students spend at least 16 weeks in community based rotations in clinics throughout Chicago and northern Illinois, in Colorado, Washington State, and Wisconsin, and in several foreign countries.
The Service Learning Fund helps to cover annual expenses of $90,000 associated with these clinic rotations, including education, housing, and travel expenses.
What your gift can do:
- $265 will pay for a student’s gasoline to extramural rotations in Illinois outside Chicagoland.
- $375 will pay for one week’s hotel bill for students on their Rock Falls, IL, rotation.
- $600 will pay for a student’s airfare to a Guatemala rotation.
- $1,100 will pay for a student’s airfare to a China rotation.
- $1,250 will pay rent for the students’ apartment in Rockford, IL, for one month.