College of Dentistry Urban Health Program
The mission of the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry’s Urban Health Program is to recruit, retain, and graduate underrepresented racial/ethnic minority students, specifically African Americans, Latinos, and Native Americans, in the Oral Health Sciences, and to expand educational opportunities for these populations at the pre-college (K-12), undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels.
We are committed to:
- Providing avenues for early exposure to the dental professions for students from traditionally underrepresented groups.
- Providing academic enrichment opportunities for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students from underrepresented populations who are interested in or pursuing degrees in the Oral Health Sciences.
- Supporting and participating in community health initiatives and programs, particularly those that are concerned with addressing oral health disparities and community health.
- Partnering with the University’s Urban Health Program and other educational institutions and organizations to establish and maintain pipelines for admissions of traditionally underrepresented student groups into UIC’s health colleges and degree programs.
- Actively recruiting African American, Latino, and Native American undergraduate students throughout Illinois, and encouraging them to apply to dental school.
- Conducting ongoing research related to underrepresented dental student experiences and outcomes, particularly for those students in the pipeline at the University of Illinois campuses.
- Encouraging urban health experiences for all students interested in and committed to practicing in dental underserved urban areas, especially in Illinois.
Summer Pre-Dental Experience
The College will offer a 1-week enrichment program to introduce students to the exciting field of Dentistry. The sessions will include: simulation laboratory hands-on dental modules, dental public health, guidance of the dental school application process, and networking opportunities with dental faculty and dental students. The program will take place from Monday, June 29th. to Friday, July 3rd.
If you are interested in participating please contact Ms. Braulia Espinosa at email@example.com.