Postdoctoral Special Program in Periodontics
The UIC Postdoctoral Special Program in Periodontics offers the General Dentist (foreign or United States trained) an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in a short-term continuing education experience that covers all aspects of the specialty. The program duration is 3, 6, 9, or 12 months. This is a continuing education course and a tuition fee is required to attend.
Participants attend all the didactic courses and seminars with the first year Postgraduate Periodontics Residents. The course of study is identical to the first year residents with the exception that attendees do not provide patient care or have direct patient contact.
Attendees follow the same clinic schedule and experience a full range of clinical procedures performed by the residents. These procedures include:
- Regenerative and resective surgery for the treatment of periodontitis;
- Periodontal plastic surgery to correct acquired mucogingival defects;
- Crown lengthening surgery;
- Site development for implant placement (including guided bone regeneration, and autogenous block grafts); and
- Implant surgery (conventional and computer guided).
Didactic courses are offered on the following:
- Periodontal Treatment Planning/Therapy Seminar
- Periodontal Literature Seminar
- Basic Implantology
- Anesthesia and Pain Control
- Implant Diagnosis and Treatment Seminar
- Advanced Craniofacial Anatomy
- Advanced Oral Sciences
- Radiology for the Dental Specialist
Attendees will also participate in preclinical hands-on experiences in implant surgery and periodontal surgery utilizing porcine heads and models.
Participants in the program will receive a Certificate of Attendance with specific dates of attendance upon completion.
This program will serve as an opportunity for the foreign trained dentist to become familiar with the specialty, determine their level of interest for future formal residency training, enhance their English language skills, demonstrate their interest in advanced training, and demonstrate familiarity with a wide range of periodontal and implant procedures. UIC faculty may provide a letter of reference upon completion of the program.
- 3 months- $6000.00
- 6 months- $11,400 (5% discount)
- 9 months- $16,650 (7.5% discount)
- 12 months- $21, 600 (10% discount)
- Personal Statement
- Transcripts (college/professional)
- NBDE Part I and II
Please send these documents as email attachments to the program director, Dr. Praveen Gajendrareddy.
The process for participation in the Special Program: If selected you will be contacted to complete the application process and to determine your start date. One half of the non-refundable tuition is required one week after notice of acceptance into the program.
On the first day of the program the balance of tuition will be due. HIPPA training and orientation will be completed and observation will begin.